Week two preparation involved setting up Google Hangouts and YouTube accounts that we’ll be using throughout the semester. Then we read the text “Developing a Software Program” that talked about the process that engineers go through in the development life cycle. We brainstormed ideas for text-based role playing adventure games and then read a software requirements document for a sample game. Armed with that information, we formed teams, chose a game idea, and began collaborating on our own requirements documents.
I learned a lot about the software development cycle, which is similar to the development cycle of many other creative projects, including writing and architecture. It incorporates defining the project and what it should do, modeling the design, the physical development of the program (writing the code), testing the program, and then deploying it. Rather than a liner development model, it is circular in that feedback is sought along the way in order to improve the program in future revisions.
The challenge for me this week was grappling with the concept of a text based game role playing game. I’d never played a game like this, so I took some time to research popular online text-based RPGs. Not only did I have a lot of fun, but I was able to get some great ideas for our group project.
The most engaging aspect of this week’s work for me was collaborating with my team. We had a great group of people and a good leader who had some experience in game design. I learned a lot from seeing how she brought the team together and got us all to participate in a constructive way.
I thought our team’s final requirements document turned out well. We all contributed parts to it and ended up with user stories that I think will ultimately help create a good program.