I started to understand more about the modularity of object oriented programming. Working from our UML class diagram that we developed last week, we took each of our classes and individually created the code for them, which included the properties and methods associated with each one. I started to understand more about encapsulation and inheritance, and while I don’t feel like I have a good handle on it yet, I’m getting there.
When my team met up to work, we went through a couple of the classes and programmed them together. Then we divided the remaining classes and we each worked on two of them by ourselves. I was a little nervous about getting this right, but luckily we had a good team assignment document. I referred back to it many times for step-by-step instructions on creating a class, turning it into a Java Bean, and testing it in our main() method.
My favorite part of this week was actually reading in the textbook and starting to feel like I understand more about what I’m doing in the assignments. Little things started to click, like the roll of encapsulation in OOP and how classes in the game are going to work together in the final project as we create instances of the classes and start to flesh out our game. I’m excited to see how things progress in the coming weeks.